"Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances" ~ I Thessalonians 5:16-18

Monday, July 4, 2011

America, the Beautiful

I really love the 4th of July. I love that, all of a sudden, people of all ages have assembled their outfits to include red, white, and/or blue.... and some go even bolder to include flags, eagles, stars/stripes and other such emblems and designs on their attire. I love that the smell of BBQ wafts through the neighborhood all weekend. I love that at all hours, it is not unusual to hear the whistles & booms of fireworks on the sidewalk. I love that commercials change their font colors to red, white & blue shades just for this weekend. I LOVE that Adam gets to stay home from work (along with many other dads!) And of course, I love that we can still celebrate this country. Sure, it's got a lot of things askew about it these days.... but it also is filled with some goodness, hope, and immense beauty. As I watched Anabelle galavant around town in her special flag dress (yes, I am definitely not above USA-inspired outfits today), I couldn't help but think of good ol' Pollyanna...
... Remember when she dressed up and sang her solo in, "America the Beautiful"? What a great moment - and costume =) [If you haven't seen Pollyanna the movie, I highly recommend it. Both Pollyanna and Little Women are TOP on my list of movies to watch numerous times with Anabelle once she is old enough to start appreciating them (so like, in a few months, right?)]

And so, with thanks to the memory of Pollyanna, I give you America the Beautiful:
Oh Beautiful for spacious skies
For amber waves of grain
For purple mountains majesty
Above the fruited plane!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good
With brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!
Anabelle's solemn salute

"Mommy, me need sunglasses, TOOOOO BRIGHT!!"

A sideways hug

Apparently this is what you get when you ask kids to look into the sun =)

Handsome Oliver, 11 months old as of yesterday!

Quite happy to be inside eating frozen yogurt

Believe it or not, we did ask her to "Be a Panda Bear" for this one. I think she may have been finished with the picture thing...
...then again, maybe not!

I couldn't help but sing some Tom Petty lyrics in my mind..."You belong, among the wildflowers. You belong somewhere close to me. Far away from your trouble and worry. You belong somewhere you feel free."

Let the jumping pictures begin!

Takin' a break

Happy Fourth from our crew to yours! We're headed to the Academy tonight for smores & fireworks, so maybe a few more festive shots yet to come!

1 comment:

AnnieBanannie said...

I love these pictures and I love those outfits! Without a doubt the cutest tots walking the streets in Annapolis on the fourth!! I am so grateful these locked have a mother and father that are so present in their lives and can buy them theme inspired outfits!! Keep up the good work!